By 1959, Carrollwood had become one of the foremost award-winning “subdivisions” in the area and boasted of amenities unheard of at the time, including air-conditioned housing, a planned school, neighborhood parks, lake access for all residents, and on-call handyman and repair services. The winding roads, cul-de-sacs, and lake views added even more charm to the young community.
1959 – First homes sold in what is now known as Original Carrollwood.
1961 – Original Carrollwood named U.S. Subdivision of the Year by the National Association of Home Builders.
1962 – Original Carrollwood receives Best Homes for Families with Children Award from Parents magazine.
1972 – Special taxing district created for Original Carrollwood to support community amenities such as parks, the recreation center, and White Sands Beach.
History Page Link: https://www.tampabay.com/archive/2009/03/20/suburbia-s-father/